This guide was made at the time of High Sierra MacOS, and the latest MacMail v10. Your interface may be slightly different, but the same principles can be followed to help set up your software.
1. Open 'Mail', from the Dock menu.
2. Once you have the application opened; from the top menu, click 'Mail' then 'Preferences'.
3. In preferences, it will load on the ‘General’ tab, so you need to select the ‘Accounts’ tab, then you will want to select ‘+’ icon at the bottom left, to add a new email address.
4. You’ll then be prompted to ‘Choose a Mail account provider..’ here you will want to select ‘Other Mail Account...’ then hit ‘Continue’.
5. On the next screen you’ll need to fill out the details for the mail account:
Name: This is the name people will be shown in their inboxes when you send them an email.
Email Address: The inbox you have created as an email address. This must be done before setup.
Password: The password for the email, this will be different to your account password.
Once you’ve filled out the correct details, select ‘Sign In’. MacMail will now attempt to auto-configure the email account.
6. This will often fail, to which you will need to specify the mail servers, which will always be your mail.<yourdomain>. E.g. for testopenhost.co.nz it is mail.testopenhost.co.nz. Fill the same for both Incoming and Outgoing Mail Server as seen below:
NOTE: For the username, you must put in the email address and not leave it as ‘Automatic’. If this is left on automatic, it will use the Apple system user which will fail.
7. This will now be complete; you should see the following. Just click ‘Done’ to complete it and ensure only mail is selected.
Tip: Run Connection Doctor via ‘Window’ heading >> ‘Connection Doctor’. This will run tests to confirm you can send and receive emails correctly.
If you run into any issues, see the following guides for:
Openhost Mac Mail Incoming Mail Settings
Openhost Mac Mail Outgoing Mail Settings
I get errors on my Mac Mail trying to set up the mail
This can be a few things:
- You have the wrong password, check the following article to reset it
- You have input the wrong servers, in which case you may want to go back and start again
- You may need to tweak your Incoming / Outgoing Mail Settings further.
Can I add more than one email to my Mac Mail?
Yes, you can add as much as you want, but make sure you manage them correctly as you may get a lot of email notifications.
I’ve tried everything, but I can’t add my email on my Mac Mail
There can be a lot of different variables such as software, network and even configuration of the Mac Mail. If you need assistance, it is best to reach out to your IT provider for further assistance. Openhost cannot help with Mac Mail issues as it's not a product we sell nor provide support for so it is out of scope.