How can I create and manage a password protect directory?
Posted by Sinan Esen on 05 May 2015 10:31 AM
This feature is active if virtual hosting has been configured for the domain. It creates and provides password-protected access to the directories where the secure documents reside in the virtual domain.
It is possible to create directories under either the standard virtual host accessible via http protocol, or if applicable for the given domain, under the SSL virtual host accessible via https protocol.
How to password protect a directory in Plesk 11:
1. Log in to your Openhost Control Panel
2. Choose your hosting plan from the Subscription drop-down box (top right)
3. In the main page, click on the Password-Protected Directories button for the domain in question
4. Click on the Add Protected Directory button
5. Fill out the directory information as follow:
6. In the list, click on the directory you just created
7. You need to add a new user to the directory, click on the Add New User button
8. Fill out the user information as follow:
9. To access your folder, enter this URL in your web browser:
■ yourdomain.tld/protecteddirectory (Replace "yourdomain.tld" by your domain name and "protecteddirectory" by your directory name)
■ A window should open asking you your user credentials
10. To add files to your protected directory, use the File Manager in your Contro Panel
To edit your protected directory:
1. In your protected directory list, click on the directory to edit
2. Click on the Directory Settings button
NB: We strongly recommend that you create and change the protected directories through Plesk and not within the FTP program. Plesk may not recognize manual changes.
To remove a protected directory:
1. In your protected directory list, check the directory to remove then click on Remove Protection
2. In the openning page, confirm removal then click OK
NB: Removing a protected directory in Plesk does not delete the directory off the server, it simply removes the protection. Meaning that the directory and its contents will now be reachable via the Internet without the need for login and password.
How to password protect a directory in old Plesks:
1. Please find the instructions in this video tutorial.